Honey Porter Grenades? still at 1.030 bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbrothas

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Wondering if I just made grenades? The beer started super high at 1.078. I added the 2lbs Honey at O minute. The Wyeast pack was a couple months old and slow to start. I dry hopped over 1 oz of cascade and the gravity didn't move from 1.030 and it tastes sweet. I think I'm stuck. Now I have bottled (before I took reading) I'm thinking about cracking all the beers and adding back to a fermentor and adding more yeast? Recipe below.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-porter.html

The honey in this recipe ferments smoothly and crisply, creating a homebrew perfect for those just starting to appreciate darker beer. A great change of pace for dark beer fans. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Dark liquid malt extract, 2 lbs. Minnesota Clover Honey, 8 oz. Carapils, 8 oz. Chocolate malt specialty grains, 1 oz. Styrian Goldings, 1 oz. Cascade pellet hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag.

I would be afraid if you try to add back to the fermenter you're going to cause oxidation. Maybe throw the bottles in the fridge to chill them and prevent bottle bombs. I don't know what else to do. Not a good situation to be in.

I started it on 3/24 and bottled on 4/24. I also had a fact pointed out to me by my beerbrotha that I took my measurement after I added the 5 oz of sugar DOH! I think It might be OK. I will check everyday because we think it should start to leak if it is going to explode. I am going to crack one in 5 days to check. Thanks for the feedback.

Honey will ferment out completely. It will not raise the FG. Check the beers after a week or two and when they seem carbonated, throw them all in the fridge. I would go ahead and put them in some sort of tub now though, for protection and to facilitate clean up if they were to blow.

Latest posts

Back