Can I leave my mead on bananas for a whole year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yipyip123

Reaction score
I am about to move a mead to a secondary. I am also about to study abroad for a year (maybe).

I would like to rack it onto a dozen bananas or so...

Will anything go wrong? I'm just not sure if bananas release off flavors over time or something.

Could I just throw the bananas into the primary?

Bananas take forever to age, so having a year for it to do so is probably good, can't comment on how long you can leave them for, I only did mine for a few months. (Still not drinkable yet...)

I am about to move a mead to a secondary. I am also about to study abroad for a year (maybe).

I would like to rack it onto a dozen bananas or so...

Will anything go wrong? I'm just not sure if bananas release off flavors over time or something.

Could I just throw the bananas into the primary?
Most of the banana recipes I've read, usually involve working out how much fruit to use, then just chopping them up whole (skins and all) into 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces, then simmering them in water for 5 or 10 minutes.

Then strain out the pulp and use the liquid as a source of banana flavouring.

You could put them in primary, or secondary for that matter, but whether banana's would start to rot down after a while, I don't know. Just that they do oxidise easily (blackening when exposed to air quite quickly etc). If they did start to rot down, then they probably would give "off" flavours....

Donno I did them primary like fatbloke is talking about and it is just now ~1.5 years old, but I have yet to try it. Maybe soon!

The browning can be reduced in cut bananas with acidulated water so maybe the acidity and lack of O2 will prevent it from doing the same thing.

Back