Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tywelcome

Reaction score
I brewed a two beers this last weekend. I used liquid yeast from wyeast.

Taddy Porter
SG 1.054, ferm at 74 degrees. Wyeast 3944
It took 24 hours to start bubbling through the airlock and for the last 24 hours it has not bubbled at all.

Belgain Witbier
SG 1.042, ferm at 74 degrees Wyeast Irish type
It also started bubbling after 25 hours and for the last 6 hours it has not bubbled.

I check on once an hour for 2 minutes intervals.
Is this period of no bubbling a sign of a stuck fermentation?
If so how to rectify? just throw in new yeast?
I did not give it much of a stir about 30 seconds when I dumped the wort into the ferms. I read just now that 5 mins is better.

I wouldn't be too concerned. The only true measurement of a stuck fermentation is your hydrometer, not bubble rate. I would leave it alone and give it at least a week in the primary, then do a gravity check. I bet you will find the yeasties did their job.

Well I may have a clue as to why no bubbling. I was watching some brew channels over at youtube.com and noticed that my airlocks were not set up right. I forgot to put the tops on them. I am hoping that the beer will be fine but thought I should check in here to see if this would cause any issues.

doh!

Well I may have a clue as to why no bubbling. I was watching some brew channels over at youtube.com and noticed that my airlocks were not set up right. I forgot to put the tops on them. I am hoping that the beer will be fine but thought I should check in here to see if this would cause any issues.

It will be fine.

Back