Calculating SG from grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBREWDOG

Reaction score
Well I'd really like to do some manipulation of some recipes and was curious as to what references mean when they talk about specific gravity points per pound of grain / per gallon.

For example they say "A conservative average yield of 1.025 to 1.030 SG points per pound / per gallon is used for most base malts..." My guess was 1.025 x total batch in gallons = Potential SG but that would be way to high.

Please educate me. Thanks!

Cheers! :mug:

Joe

That is true and you get different results because of methods used, PH of the water after the grain is added and what method you use to sparge etc. Get Beersmith if you want to play with recipes as it is the easy way to find out what happens when grains are added or taken away. The program displays all the needed information as you play with a recipe.

Thanks guys! I checked out Brew Smith and have downloaded but not listened to the Malt Analysis brew strong episode.

Brew Smith looks pretty awesome... I came up with one recipe already. I'm thinking that might have to be an X Mas gift...

Cheers!

Joe

Back