sculpin clone and dryhopping concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etoews

Reaction score
hey guys and gals:

apologies if this is a duplicate of other messages but searched and wasn't able to find quite what i was looking for.

am making an extract version of this beeer and had a concern about my FG: it's been in primary for 5 days now, airlock bubbling is about once per 70-80 secs., and FG is off about 10 points from where we estimated it.

so my question: is this an ok time to transfer to secondary and dryhop? and if i do this, is there enough active yeast that is going to come along for the next ten days or so that we plan to have it in secondary that we'll get our additional 10 points?

thanks in advance for any help on this.

erik

Wait it out. Let the fermentation finish. Wait until the gravity stops dropping and then go to secondary a few days after that. You're not hurting anything by waiting.

If the gravity is not dropping anymore, you could gently swirl it and move it to some place slightly warmer. We are in a bit of a cold snap (for here) and I know that I've had to keep things warmer, which is usually not a concern here. Let us know the temperature and we can probably help.

right now i'm at about 65 degrees and i've got the primary carboid wrapped in a blanket. i could probably put an electric blanket on it to bring the temp up a bit, but i guess the main point here is pretty much to wait?

this is my first time doing a secondary. i usually leave the beer in the primary for 7-10 days and have had very good luck.

thanks again for your help and assistance.

Leave it alone and try to get it a little warmer. I'd shoot for 69-70 this late in the primary. The yeast work a little slower at lower temps. By warming them up a little you'll help them finish a bit easier.

thank you. the primary carboid is already at the warmest place in my house and it's at 65 degrees. i'm thinking about throwing an electric blanket on it for the remainder of fermentation at low temp but have never heard of anybody doing this. good idea or bad?

Back