Pacman or Nottingham for chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxxenigmaxxl

Reaction score
I am making a AG chocolate stout tomorrow with someone else's recipe that calls for Nottingham. I did some reading and found people complaining that it petered out and left the stout way too sweet. The recipe does call for 16oz lactose which might be why those people see high FG. From my understanding, lactose does not ferment. Then again other people said they followed it to a T and did not have any problems. I have used Nottingham in the past for three different ciders and have had fantastic results for a fruity sweeter style cider.

I have a couple other yeast on hand and was think of trying something different as long as I can get the blessings of a senior member.
All Wyeast
Pacman
Abby
Or stick with the Nottingham(I have 3 packs)

Thank for your response

Nottingham attenuates pretty well. There are other factors like mash temps, fermentation temp, pitching rate, and of course personal taste that all play into it. I'd just stick with the original recipe and adjust from there.

16 ozs of Lactose adds .007 to the FG (5 gallons). Adjust recipe how you want.

Notty works well in most beers.

Personally I like PacMan in anything, it's my 'house' yeast., but don't think a sweet stout is going to let it shine. Use it for an APA, and then re-use it again, and again, and again.

Back