New recipe opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions on how you think this beer will taste. I haven't brewed it yet, but my brewing buddy and I are about to do a face off with our current stock. I got a lucky draw because I got most of the MO. He got the bulk of the crystal and all of the remaining vienna along with most of the 2 row. Can you tell it's almost time to restock? The roasted barley is probably on the stale side. Been around a while. Munich isn't the freshest either, but it's not all that old.

Grain Bill:
10lb Marris Otter
1lb Crystal 30
.5lb Roasted barley
.5lb Munich

Hop Schedule:
.75oz East Kent Golding (60min)
.5oz East Kent Golding (15min)
.5oz Fuggles (flame out)

Thinking WLP007 for this one, but I'm open for suggestions. I want this sucker malty and RED! ROLL TIDE!

I think I would use less than 10 pounds of the Marris Otter. It looks like this will turn into a very strong beer and you will not have much in the way of bittering hops to keep it balanced.

I am assuming a 5 gallon batch at 75 % efficiency and finding and Og around 1.067.

@ 60 % things might look different. ie 1.053. Which might just be a good malty red beer.

More like 70ish%. I still haven't dialed in the new mill. Think if I were to up the bittering hops to an oz and the first aroma to .75oz it would balance things out better?

I'd cut the roasted barley down to around 3-4oz, you'll still have an srm around 23-28, which I think is just what you want. An alternative plan would be to skip the roasted barley and put 2 lbs of the MO in the oven at 350 for 30 min. You'd have about the same color but would have a nuttier, maltier beer. I'd make your 60 minute addition around 40 ibus of the highest alpha hop you have, then add around 2oz of EKG and .5oz of fuggles at flameout. WL007 will give you a very clean, clear and dry beer. I think you want something that attenuates a little less. There's obviously a lot of options, but my experience with WY1335 indicates it would give you exactly what you want.

I'd cut the roasted barley down to around 3-4oz, you'll still have an srm around 23-28, which I think is just what you want. An alternative plan would be to skip the roasted barley and put 2 lbs of the MO in the oven at 350 for 30 min. You'd have about the same color but would have a nuttier, maltier beer. I'd make your 60 minute addition around 40 ibus of the highest alpha hop you have, then add around 2oz of EKG and .5oz of fuggles at flameout. WL007 will give you a very clean, clear and dry beer. I think you want something that attenuates a little less. There's obviously a lot of options, but my experience with WY1335 indicates it would give you exactly what you want.

I like the way you think. I hadn't even thought about roasting the MO. I'm gonna dig around and see what other hop varieties we have around, but I'm afraid the pickins are slim. That sucker beat me to the galena, cascade and centennial. Might have some Chinook lurking about, but I'm not a fan of it's profile in anything but an IPA. Might have to cheat and order some hops when I order the yeast. Not familiar with WY1335, but I'm always up for something new. Thanks for the suggestions.

You need to swipe an ounce of Galena next time you see him. 1335 is pretty clean as far as English yeasts go, but leaves some maltiness an truly awesome mouthfeel. Great in stouts.

Back