Airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSD

Reaction score
My first batch of mead has been going for four days. Airlock is bubbling every 4-5 seconds. Is that good. I was expecting more activity. I've also heard alot of people rack into secondary after 30 days to get mead off the dead yeast. Is that a good rule to follow.

A lot of bollocks is spoken about bubbles, how many, how fast, etc. The only bubbles worthy of worry, come from between the arse cheeks !

The only thing that they tell you, is that there is, or has been something going on in your brew.

Your best guide to fermentation progress is hydrometer readings. You may have a fastish ferment, but lots of bubbles isn't guaranteed. You might have a slow ferment and foam coming out the air lock......

The same applies to "how long". There's no answer because people worry if "it" takes a couple of days to start yet they worry if they're spot on and its almost finished in a week.....

So its up to you whether you want to rack it, but unless its on 71B or other yeast that isn't good for "sur lie"/batonage, I'd be leaving it alone like the other post suggests.

No. leaving it alone. Going to brew some honey wheat beer to keep my mind off it.

Latest posts

Back