BYO's Youngs Dbl. Choc. Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the BYO version of Young's Double Chocolate Stout (recipe posted below) or another recipe you may have?... and if so, how close to the original is it? Personally, I'm good with some variation, however, I have a buddy that I want to introduce to homebrewing and he loves this stuff. So, if it is off by quite a bit he will definitely notice and probably stick to buying commercial. Any help would be appreciated...

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout Clone

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.06
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.60
Anticipated SRM: 29.7
Anticipated IBU: 34.9

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
--------------------------------------------------------------
5.5 0.50 lbs. Golden Syrup (Partially Inver Great Britian 1.036 2
77.2 7.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.6 0.69 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
4.8 0.44 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
4.8 0.44 lbs. Carafa Germany 1.030 400

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------
39.69 g. Fuggle Whole 4.75 29.6 60 min.
7.09 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 5.3 60 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
---------------------------------------------------------
12.00 Oz Lactose Other 15 Min.(boil)
0.33 Oz Liquid Chocolate Extract Other 14 Days(secondary)
6.00 Oz Cocoa Powder Other 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

The issue with any clone is that you probably won't be serving it on nitro, which is a big part of the character of the beer.

The recipe looks fine, but I would hold off on the lactose and chocolate extract and add them at bottling to taste. You may have enough sweetness/cocoa flavor from the rest of the recipe.

Thanks for the reply... when you say hold off on the lactose and choc. and bottle to taste... are you saying to not place them in the secondary? Would a better idea be to mix the solution with the priming sugar in the bottle bucket before bottling?

Thanks for the reply... when you say hold off on the lactose and choc. and bottle to taste... are you saying to not place them in the secondary? Would a better idea be to mix the solution with the priming sugar in the bottle bucket before bottling?

Exactly (although I wouldn't boil the extract). Taste the beer when you are ready to bottle, if it has enough chocolate flavor don't add the extract (if it needs more add some, taste and repeat until the flavor is where you want it). Same goes for the lactose, only add it if it doesn't taste sweet enough.

did you brew this?was it close?what temp did you mash at?any other feedback or tips would be good as im doing this one this weekend:fro:

I ended up doing a modified extract version per the recipe below...

1.0 lbs. Briess Golden Light DME
4.0 lbs. Northern Brewer Organic Light LME (Late Addition)
0.5 lbs. Dark Corn Syrup (15 min.)
0.5 lbs. 2-Row Pale Ale Malt
0.8 lbs. Briess Caramel Crystal Malt (60L)
0.75 lbs. Simpsons Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley Unmalted (300)
12.0 oz. Lactose (15 min.)
6.0 oz. Cocoa Powder (15 min.)
.33 oz. Liquid Chocolate Extract (Secondary)
½ tsp. Irish Moss (15 min)
½ tsp. Yeast Nutrients (15 min)
1oz. Kent Golding Hops (60 min)
1 oz. Fuggle Hops (15 min)
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
3.8 oz. Corn Sugar (Priming)

I bottled it approx. 3 weeks ago. I cracked one open a couple nights ago for a sample... and this bad boy is stout, and I mean super stout. I can tell that it is going to be a good beer in time, but it's going to take quite a while. I would say if I had to do it over again... I would lessen the Cocoa Powder by about half or more and probably lessen the Lactose a bit too, then test at add accordingly at secondary racking. It has a thick mouth feel that will hopefully ease up in time. Good Luck, and let me know how yours turns out!

Back