Chocolate Imperial Stout... Cocoa or Bakers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchtickler

Reaction score
Hey!

Brewing a chocolate imperial stout tonight and WAS going to use cocoa in the last 5 mins of boil to help add the chocolatiness to it... BUT... now i'm seeing others recipe that call for Bakers chocolate, some sweet other non-sweet.

I'm confused now and need some feedback :)

Have any of you tried both, which would you recommend?

Also, isn't bakers oily a bit and will it affect head retention?

Cheers!

-JC

I made a chocolate porter kit that came with bakers chocolate the directions said to melt it in a double boiler and then add to the boil. From what I read i think bakers chocolate has the fats removed from it???

I guess I cant really tell tho because I also added some bakers cocoa powder too. It is still sitting in primary now and I havent tasted it but the smell coming out of the airlock smells nicely like chocolate.

I've been working up to a chocolate stout for the coming weekend. From what I've read, the best way to add chocolate flavor is with chocolate extract. The idea is that the chocolate flavor is already in suspension whereas if you try to get the flavor out of solids like powder or nibs, you may end up losing a lot of the flavor to the trub. I am planning on adding .75oz of chocolate extract and .85 pounds of cocoa powder for a 10 gallon batch. "My" recipe is a modification of the BYO clone for Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Back