Yellow floaties in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Hey all, I just popped the top off my APA in the primary and there were yellow flakes floating on the top of the brew. I'm not too worried because the beer tasted okay and the dots were sort of the same color as the trub and krausen. I just wanted to know if you guys have ever experienced this phenomenon, because my last 3 batches did not do this. (Don't worry, I'm relaxing and having a home brew!)

If they are pale yellow globule type things, then I have gotten them too, and it is just yeast/trub, as far as I could tell.

They were almost like flakes, leading me to believe that the krausen ring kind of flaked off the side of the bucket?

If the legs aren't moving, they won't drink much.

Fungus is ugly stuff. Another reason to use plastic buckets and leave the lids on.

david_42 said:
Fungus is ugly stuff. Another reason to use plastic buckets and leave the lids on.
I must have missed something...are you saying fungus is more likely in glass than in plastic? :confused:

El Pistolero said:
I must have missed something...are you saying fungus is more likely in glass than in plastic? :confused:
He probably meant something like "Another reason to leave the lids on when using plastic buckets."

Back