Floating fruit in steeping bag -- am I doomed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
This is my third batch of ale, and my first where I've tried my hand at a fruit ale. Thought my Wit would go nice on top of four pounds of fresh shredded Pippin apples, and thought the steeping bag was small enough that it'd remain below the surface of the beer after I tied it with (dipped in Star San) twine to the inside of the spigot. I thought wrong.

I frantically searched for things to weight it down, and.... long story short, there is now a sterilized ceramic plate and pot lid sitting on the bottom of my fermenting bucket, while the apples bob about as defiantly as ever. Despairing, I gave the bag a final squirt of Star San, hosed down the rim and lid, and closed it up.

Do I dare search around for a big smooth rock, wash it, sterilize it, dip my clean hands in my beloved beer, retrieve the bag, and weight it down? I've already opened and shut that damn bucket four times, each time increasing the odds of an infection. Should I leave it be and hope for the best?

Help!

Leave it alone and hope for the best. You can always add more fruit when you rack it (if you plan to). In this case, I probably would rack it onto some fresh fruit (for a 5 gallon batch, I use about 10# total of fresh fruit that is washed thoroughly) to get the benefit from the fruit. Another option would be to add juice. Much easier and quicker than fresh, but not the same effects. I've used both methods successfully.

Oh, but I *have* racked it. After two weeks in primary (and it was still bubbling occasionally -- Jesus that WPL400 is frightening stuff).

All right then. Off to Montana for a two-week hunting trip, then back to bottle my sublime Pommewit.... or use it to mulch the garden.....

Back