My IPA, is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
I brewed my first IPA (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25124) yesterday and put it to rest at about 2pm, pitched whitelabs California Ale yeast into just shy of 3 gallons of 1.058 wort @ 75 degrees. It's nearing 32 hours and there isnt much activity going on... A very thin, white foamy layer (which I presume and hope is the krausen starting) has just begun to form and the airlock is slowly starting to bubble. After discovering no activty after 24 hours, I gave it a good shake to put everything back into suspension and so far, not much is going on.

If by morning, it's still not working too hard, what should I do? The brewshop won't be open again until Tuesday and I don't have any yeast lying around with the exception of what small amounts I can collect from my previous batch, which would be the whitelabs edinburgh strain... What should I do??

Maybe I'll do a starter next time :)

Leave it alone for a week. Then check the gravity. If it's still way off then think about more yeast.

You're right about the starter. Here's the reason.

Ok, this is funny, because I've always read through these types of threads thinking, "Gee man, don't worry" and doubly so because this was my "Don't Worry!" batch. But, fermentation started sometime over night, probably 36-38 hours or so of lag time, which is my longest gap between pitching and fermentation.

It smells absolutly wonderful but it looks a little weird. The krausen isn't as big as past brews and it looks like a yeast cake has formed on top of the brew, but based on the smell alone, I'm sure it'll be great. But that may just be the hops talking :)

Back