Rookie needs help with stage 3 kegging/bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first time on any forum so sorry if I didn't follow proper procedure. I have 2 batches of beer. I'm also new to brewing. My Irish stout was in primary for 2 weeks and in the secondary for the next 2. I've been saving bottles but I am short for bottling five gallons. I bought 2 corny kegs but do not have a co2 setup yet. Will the priming sugar in my kit seal my corny if I close the lid tight? If not, any ideas? Alternate bottling? I've got amber bock in my primary and I need to free up my secondary. Thank you all.

Yes it will. Boil the 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon in water, cool, dump into keg, and rack. The yeast will consume the sugar and carbonate.

But in the time it takes to natural carbonate and build up pressure won't the beer get hurt because of oxidation if there is not a good seal?

You may not get a good seal. The standard way to seal a tank is with a blast of CO2. If the lid isn't hissing, then it has sealed. The only way to know if you have a seal without the CO2 blast is with a pressure guage on the keg, and as you say, it will take a while to show pressure. The beer won't oxidize, but it may not carbonate either as the CO2 may slowly leak out the lid and you won't know it. I've forgotten to seal the lid with a blast of CO2 and this has happened to me.

Try to borrow a CO2 tank to seal the lid.

First off, congratulations on diving into this hobby! It sounds like you've gotten a little ahead of yourself, and there's nothing wrong with that! I agree with Brewcrew86, go ahead and rack into the keg with your priming sugar. Oxidation won't be a problem... this is rarely an issue in homebrewing -- it's more of a concern for commercially distributed bottled beer. Anyway, if your kegs are like mine, you will likely get a good seal without adding pressure. Just take care to keep the lid nice and centered as you latch it down. I like to pull up on the lid as I clamp it, to hold pressure on the gasket as the latch clamps down.

The worst thing that could happen is that you don't get a good carbonation because of a small leak. No big deal, just force carbonate once you get your CO2 rig.

You could also check Craigslist in your area for anyone getting rid of extra bottles. That is the one thing you can almost always find on Craigslist, any day of the week. :)

Especially if you only need a few of them. Or just have a poker party and invite a few friends over. Tell them only pop-top beer is allowed! :mug:

Do different beers require different amounts of priming sugar? Midwest brewing supplies send me a big bag of priming sugar for my oatmeal stout . How much of it should I use for 5 gallons of oatmeal stout in a corny keg? I noticed that my amber Bock has the same amount of sugar in the bag the game with the kit so I assumed they use it all. But after reading here it doesn't seem like people use that much sugar?.

Back