3 Gallon BIAB CDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
Just bought a CDA kist from NB. This will be my first attempt at all grain and I am pretty excited. Any tips for a first time BIAB? Add a little more grain? Ph?

Leave the grain bill the way it is and see where you end up.
Make sure your your measurements are accurate so you know exactly how much water you added and how much wort you ended up with. It helps to know this to determine your efficiency along with boil off rate and grain absorption. Try to figure these figures out so you can adjust the volumes next time if you need to. Do some research if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Test your mash temp every fifteen minutes and crank a little heat if you need to in order to maintain a steady temp. That's what I do for BIAB. Odds are you Ph is fine but if you wanna buy some testing strips you can.
Most of all have fun and don't stress if it isn't perfect.

Be sure to get a fine crush on your grains. Your LHBS often has a crush which avoids stuck sparges but is not very efficient. With the bag you will not have to worry about stuck sparge.

Get a fine crush. Ask for double crush if you can. The more fine your crush, the better your efficiency.

Also you can add a 1/2 lb of base malt to your recipeif you are worried about efficiency.

I think it's great NB is offering these kits. 3 gallon BIAB is a nice sweet spot for brewing indoors while still getting a decent amount of beer. Plus with time savings of BIAB you can brew more often, in the evenings, etc.

Back