BIAB Belgian Pale Ale (sort of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hroth521

Reaction score
10 lb Belgian Pilsner
1 lb white wheat
1 lb Belgian Munich
1/2 lb Belgian Biscuit
2 oz torrified wheat

1 oz kent goldings @ 60 minutes
1 oz KG @ 15 minutes
1oz KG @ 1 minute

whirlfloc @ 15 minutes

Wyeast Ardens 3522

1.2 quarts water/lb grain (15 quarts)

Dough in @ 160 F, dropped to 150 adjust to keep between 149 and 152 for 80 minutes

Mash out 170 F for 10 minutes
Batch sparge 3 gallons @ 170 - basically pour 170 deg water over the grains still in the bag, resting on a colander into another pot, squeeze and combine with wort.

Brewhouse efficiency calculated at 73%! (6 gallons @1.044 temp corrected to 1.057 using this calculator: http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/ )

Divide into two pots for the boil. Re-combine to cool. Cooled by placing a 3 gallon pot (sanitized inside and out) filled with ice water into the 7 gallon brew pot. Put the combination into a large sink filled with ice water. Took about 18 minutes to cool down to 72 deg.

Boiled down to 4 gallons - added 1 gallon spring water for 5 gallons O.G. 1.056. I'll post a picture but the sample pre yeast pitch settled so clear that I could read through it! :ban:

Was it light or dark Munich? Please report back when you are drinking it, the grain bill looks interesting and I'd love to know what the Ardennes does with it.

Cracked open one of these last night. Biscuit malt added some nice color. Delicious Belgian profile aroma. Nice head initially but gone by half glass. Son says not carbonated enough and I forgot to record how much sugar I added. Sweet belgian ale malty flavor, a little toasted flavor with enough hops to balance to make a balanced, flavorful relatively low alcohol beer. I really like this beer. I will make this again. Maybe add a little more wheat for head retention?

Latest posts

Back