Yeast still floating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oberonsd73

Reaction score
So I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I searched and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I recently made a Chocolate porter.

When i went to bottle (after being in secondary for 2 weeks), there was still brown stuff floating @ the top. To me it looked like a little bit of yeast residule. Which I thought was odd since it was in the secondary. but then I read how using bakers chocolate could result in the oils sitting @ the top of the fermentor. Maybe they 'bonded' with the yeast? I made sure to bottle below the junk (there really wasnt a lot)

The final gravity was within .001-.002 of what the recipie said it should be.

Poring my first bottle, I still noticed this floating stuff (still looking like yeast, but now more tannish white than brown). I didnt pour the whole bottle (let the yeast @ the bottom stay in the bottle). The beer tasted great!
But, the bottom of my glass was coated w/ again the same stuff that was floating. (yeast?)

I tried to take a pic last night of my second bottle pour, but there was a lot less. But still apparent. I am concerned a bit and hope it IS just yeast. And, of course I'm sad that, other than the suspension of this stuff, my beer would otherwise be nice and clean!

Recepie is at home.. but it was something like:

6# LME
1/2 Chocolate
1/2 Crystal 60
1/4 black patent
1/2lb light brown sugar
Northern brewer bittering
fuggels? aroma
London ESB Wyeast
Bakers chocolate bar @ end of boil.

I did a primary for 6 days (in warm CA, that area of my house was around 75F). And a secondary for ~2 weeks.

You all think it's yeast? Something else? Had similar experiances?
If I can get a better pic next time, I'll post it

It sounds like yeast to me or other harmless ka-ka from your brew. I've never thrown chocolate in a beer, so I don't know what all it can kick up.

TL

yeah, probably what you think: the oils keeping yeast in suspension. Normally they'll fall, but I would imagine that if they got stuck on some floating oil, it'd do what you're referring to. I've used baker's chocolate several times and never had that problem, though, so who knows.

I had a somewhat similar situation when I made a chocolate stout. The cocoa powder I used never did seem to settle out completely. It looked like a chocolate cloud in the bottom of the bottles, but SWMBO actually prefered it all poured in the glass. I just figured it was chocolate or something chocolate related that just never would clear completely. Even after months in the bottle, it never did completely settle.

Back