A switch question for my controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I believe these will only show a light for the switched function. I don`t think they have a separate light circuit like the indistrial control type switches.

You could probably modify it to work, depends on how comfortable you are with electronics.

I wanted to use them to control the pump outlets (110) and the PID/Element, and if I could have them light up when the element was heating.

They could run your pump outlet no problem. When the switch is on, the pump is on and the light is on.

You could wire them in the element circuit as long as you are not exceeding the amp rating. You could put the switch between the SSR and the element and then whenever the PID turned on the SSR it would also turn on the light in the switch. You could flip the switch off and "disable" the element.

Ok, so the switch is 20amps, 277 volts.

My element is 5500w @ 220v so that is 25 amps, correct?

But my goal is to have the switch toggle on/off the element, and have the light turn on/off as the PID sends power to it.

Is that possible?

Tim

The switch is not adequately rated for your 5500w element. AFAIK, the best way to wire an indicator light that shows when the element is getting power, is to wire a 240v indicator light in parallel with the element. Other configurations can suffer from the "SSR leakage" issue and illuminate even when the element is off.

Ok, so the switch is 20amps, 277 volts.

My element is 5500w @ 220v so that is 25 amps, correct?

But my goal is to have the switch toggle on/off the element, and have the light turn on/off as the PID sends power to it.

Is that possible?

Tim

With this switch and that element, I don't think so. Not without getting really creative. You'd be better to use a switch to enable the PID output to the SSR or something like that and a separate indicator light, or a combo switch/light that has individual circuits.

it was just a shot, no worries.
I will be posting them for sale somewhere soon I guess

Tim

Latest posts

Back