JZ's Flanders Red ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew my first Flanders Red, and was going to follow Jamil Z's method.

I'd really like it quite sour, more like Grand Cru. Should I forgo pitching the US-05 first, and just pitch the Roselaire right away?

Is this best to bulk age, or bottle age?

i made that recipe and left it in plastic bucket to secondary for 7 months it was really good but not what i would call quite sour. i used white labs 001 in primary if i had to do it again ide use the roeslare only i would have preferred a little more pucker

I made this starting with us-05, racked to secondary and then pitched Roeselare. Aged it in a glass carboy for 15 months. Added sour cherry concentrate at about 12 months.

It's kegged now and I WOULD say this is quite tart. I think is similar to a Grand Cru, but probably not quite as sour. The sour cherry concentrate work out really well.

It really doesn't matter I would just toss the rosealare, I really doesn't taste good till about 24 months in a glass carboy. What I really mean is the recipe really doesn't matter as long as the color is right. All the flavor comes from the aging. If your planning to use a bucket make sure to suran wrap it to cut down the o2 getting in.

Back