Dry Hop Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHUKILL

Reaction score
I was recently enjoying one of my favorites, a Honkers Ale and had forgotten about the very mild hop flavor that comes through in that beer. I have just transferred my Common Room to my secondary and noticed almost no hop flavor from my tasting. Do you think that beer would benefit from a dry hopping and if so what would be a suggestion for quantity? Would 1oz of Kent Goldings 5 days before bottling be appropriate?
Thanks- Dave

I'm assuming we're talking about an ESB? It simply depends on how much hop aroma you want. 1oz won't be over powering, but will definitely be noticed. .5oz will be more subtle. And yes, five days is plenty

I typically dry hop 6-7 days before bottling/kegging a batch that's going to get dry hopped. I've also used 1-3 ounces of whole hops in batches so far (~6 gallons into kegs). At this point, I'm liking what I get from the 3oz split between EKG and Fuggles in my English IPA's... I have a batch that got 2oz total for the dry hops and am seriously thinking about adding another ounce to the second 3 gallon keg (in a bag of course) when it goes into the brew fridge. You'll get some flavor addition from the dry hopping too, which makes it even better IMO.

While I'm not an IBU freak (highest IBU batch I've brewed to date is just over 53), I really do enjoy the dry hopped English IPA's that I'm brewing.

BTW, 1oz for 5 days will be more subtle than 7 days, or 2oz... :D Do what I've been doing... Dry hop it with one amount, and time frame, taste it and then modify it for the next time you brew something that will get dry hopped. Keep experimenting with amounts and times until you hit upon the combination that works best for you, and what you're brewing.

Yes it's an ESB. I appreciate the tips.
I presume the best technique would be to put my pellets in a bag to cut down on the residue?

Back