Does Lactose/ Maltodextrin take the place of priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palaemon

Reaction score
Scenario #1 I'll be adding Maltodextrin in order to increase the body and mouthfeel to a brew that I have ready to bottle. I will be boiling with water and adding to the bottling bucket similar to the way I do the priming sugar.

Scenario #2 I am going to brew the Vanilla Cream Ale recipe found on this forum. The recipe calls for Lactose to be added durring the boil as well as again at the time of bottling. Recipe has no mention of priming sugar.

So does the Maltodextrin and Lactose replace the priming sugar when added to the bottling bucket or do I also use priming sugar as I always have?

Thanks.

Neither of those two are a "fermentable sugar".

Lactose is a milk based sugar used for back sweetening a brew. It takes a special yeast to break this down.

Maltodextrin is a "filler" it aids n the mouth feel of a brew, makes a lighter brew seem a bit "fuller" yeast will not break it down

You should always use dextrose for bottling, as its effects are well known and easy to predict.

Cheeto is partially, lactose is nonfermentable, maltodextrine is partially fermentable. IIRC it is bulked with some dextrose, BUT how much, is probably not listed anywhere, so calculating the need would be difficult. In fact to get enough fermentables in there at priming with it would make for one heavily bodied beer, I would think.

http://www.thebrewersden.com.au/?stg=650
The addition of maltodextrin to your beer vastly improves the head retention and body in your beer. It is a low fermentable sugar which creates a minimal amount of sweetness and a smoothness to the palate.

SO I would stick with corn or table sugar.

I got the 1554 clone kit from Austin Home brew for my birthday a while back. It included 4oz of maltodextrine. I was curious about it and did a little research. Information I found said it is only about 5% fermentable.

Back