No Chill Dry-Hopping with an Ordinary Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamaha

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to brew a slightly modified (i.e. carbed and bittered to style) version of Northern Brewer's British Bitter. The recipe calls for an aroma addition of 1oz EKG at 1 min. I'm going to be doing it No Chill style, and I plan to use The Pols' hop adjustment chart, where late hop additions get moved to dry hops. However, my understanding is that people usually go easy when dry-hopping ordinary bitters, somewhere around 1/4 oz for a five gallon batch.

So my question is, should I shift the whole amount of the 1 min addition to dry hops, or would that be more than is typical for the style? Would a 1/4 oz of dry hopping give me enough aroma to make up for that one minute addition, or would I need more? Any feedback is appreciated, especially from anyone with ordinary bitters experience.

I'd go with the one full ounce of dry hops and skip the 1min addition. If the hop aroma is too strong, just ignore the batch for 2 months. The hop aroma will have faded away a bit in that time. Then, you can adjust the next batch as needed.

FYI, I just did an experiment to test No Chill flameout additions for myself: .5oz Magnum at 60 and a whopping 3oz Goldings at flameout before moving to the No Chill cube. We'll see what that flameout/20min addition is bringing to the table. If it really does contribute to bitterness, this beer will be very, very bitter. If its mostly flavor and aroma, then my liver will be very, very sad because I'll brew this way over and over again.

I'll post the results back here when I tap the keg (just be in a few days).

Ok so I've tapped my beer now and I have to say that for me, "flameout" addition hops in a No chill taste like 15 min hops in a boil. As I indicated above, I had Magnum for bittering, plus 3oz US Goldings in at flameout. The beer is quite tasty, definitely not over-bittered. Its 100% Pale Malt, meaning no crystal malt, so if the flameout addition contributed much bitterness, it wouldnt have any crystal malt to hide behind.

My beer is fairly low in hop aroma, but big on hop flavor. It feels like there ought to be about 25% MORE flavor than what I'm getting, given than I used 3oz at flameout, but it might be that US Goldings are pretty mild, and I haven't used them too much in the past.

Back