Partial Boils and Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmadden08

Reaction score
I just made my first batch with a Sierra Nevada clone using the partial boil method. I see that you dont get as good hop utililization with partial boils so im wondering if this should be compensated by adding more hops? and also, which kind of hops? bittering, flavor, aroma, or dry? i threw in an extra 1/2 oz of cascades at the end of the boil, and then dry hopped with 2 oz of cascades. I'm now wondering if that was too much ?????

Thanks

Late extract method will help with partial boils

Thanks, so would you suggest adding all the extract in later? like after 30 mins? or just half or so?

add half to keep you gravity like it should be and then the other half at flame out or 5 or 10 minutes left everyone does it different.
Or buy a pot for full boils

Great, thanks! I'll try that for the next batch. I did notice that my SG was off before i pitched my yeast......... I'd like to do full boils but my stove had a tough enough time getting the 3.5 gallons up to a good boil.

a full boil would be about 6.5 gallons if doing a 5 gallon batch

Only the bittering hops need to be adjusted. Flavor and aroma are mainly oils that are not impacted by gravity.

2 oz. of Cascades is over the top for a SN clone. Not saying it's a bad thing.

i don't understand , you use 6 1/2 gallons of water to make a five gallon batch? is that a five gallon receipe or a 6 1/2 gallon receipe yielding 5 gallons. Where does the gallon and half extra go, is that the waste or is it boiled off in the cooking process. every receipe i see calls for a total of five gallons in the fermenting bucket. What am i missing here.

When I make a five gallon batch, I start with 6.25 gallons in the kettle. After one hour, I have about 5.25 gallons in the kettle. After I transfer to the fermenter (through a strainer), I have just a tad over 5 gallons in the primary fermenter.

I lose about 9% per hour in the boil. That is my evaporation rate. Most people who do extract brewing just top off to 5 gallons in the primary, using water. That's absolutely fine. But when you do AG, you don't top off. You boil down to get 5 gallons. That's the difference.

Hops utilization is improved in lower gravity wort. That is, say you're doing a 3 gallon boil. You then top off with 2 gallons to get your volume in the fermentor. Well, in order to get a og of say, 1.050, your water that you'll be adding is 1.000. So your boiling wort is higher (maybe 1.070 or so) due to the dilution. (I didn't figure this all out mathematically, I'm just guessing)

That's why there is a difference in hops utilization.

didn't realize that you boil that much water off in an hour. I'm interested in the straining. Your the first person I've heard say they strained the wort going into the fermenter. Does this make a big difference in taste or just to help clarify. Isn't this mostly hops at this point that your straining out.

david_42 said:
Only the bittering hops need to be adjusted. Flavor and aroma are mainly oils that are not impacted by gravity.

2 oz. of Cascades is over the top for a SN clone. Not saying it's a bad thing.

Yeah, i am a bit of a hop head. and the guy at my LHBS said someone dryhopped the same kit with 5oz of cascades, so i figured 2 would be good.....i guess i'll find out soon enough

Latest posts

Back