Using plain old Soda Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Especially when the kids where young I used to store Soda water(Store Bought) and add cordial of different flavours. I did not want my boys to have Coke or Pepsi. I went for the high fruit cordials.

As long as it was cold and fizzy they liked it. I have made Ginger Beer mainly for myself as I made it based on a beer recipe. From memory

1 kg Malt
1 kg Sugar
3 desertspoons dried ginger
a sprinkle of Lager Yeast

I brought the malt Sugar and Ginger to the boil and poured it into the fermentor added 20 litres of water and added a sprinkle of the yeast.
I fermented for two weeks and bottled with a teaspoon of priming sugar.

I never used a secondary in those days, more's the pity.

The result after 3 weeks was excellent. I used Sodium Metabisolphate to remove ginger traces from fermentor.

It was about 3 % I supppose. I may have another go this Summer. I picked up a Ginger Grater, Made of wood much better than the normal type. It is a Oriental design.

I guess you can describe it as a Ginger flavoured beer (Ergo Ginger Beer) I cannot tell you what yeast I used must of been one from a kit probably a Draught/Lager type.

I shall use fresh Ginger maybe with some dry ginger for good measure. From memory it needed some more. It sure was popular. I vintaged a couple of bottles and one at 2 years was tasty but had lost a lot of its Ginger flavour but very refreshing. I thought if I made it as beer I would not create bombs.

Back