Delayed Boil After Mash/Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin30R

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, could you perform the mash on a Friday ... store the wort overnight somehow, and then perform the boil on Saturday? There are times when I want to brew but I don't have the full 6 hours available in one time slot, thought I do have it available if split into 2 chunks across 2 days.

I'm not really seriously considering this, though I am curious what people think.

Let me know!

I'm thinking it would be no problem. I would want to refrigerate it if possible, but if not It would likely be ok since you're going to boil it anyway...

Yup, I do this all the time. Keep the wort in sealed container but never more than overnight.

Make sure you mash out before hand to stop enzymes working over night (or get it chilled quickly).

Obviously make sure you are very sanitary in your processes. Even though you'll boil the wort the next day, you wouldn't want anything to take hold of that sweet, delicious, sugary wort.

Everything people have said here makes complete sense to me. Thanks for the input!

Had the same thought, but is not malt extract just boiled down wort. You could heat Wort to boiling and then put away just to sanitize. We were thinking of doing this and freezing for later use. I may try a 5 Gallon batch just for an experiment on frozen wort.
Mash, Boil, Freeze -> Boil, Cool, Ferment.

I dod a soured cali common last year. Drew off 6 gallons from MT. Took 4 gallons and put in sanitized carboy and refridgerated. Other 2 gallons I pitched about 8 oz of wheat malt on top, covered and let sour for about 6 days. Then I reintroduced the 2 worts back in the boilpot and did a regular brew from there. The refridgerated wort was just fine- and most of the proteins had settled out preboil. Made an excellent beer. So, yes you can do what you posted. Also, there is a brewery (Granite City) in Indianapolis that has it's wort trucked in from Iowa, then does their boil.

I realise this is an old thread but it fits in with my question: I plan on brewing a wee heavy and I want to boil the first runnings down to a thick syrup before adding it back to the rest of the wort for the main boil. The problem I have is that I only have 1 pot large enough to boil 2 gallons to a syrup, and that is my main brew kettle. So my idea is this: After doing a mashout to stop conversion, I would drain the first runnings into the kettle to do the reduction boil, and drain the rest of the runnings into a cooler to keep warm. Once the first runnings have reduced to a syrup I would then transfer the wort from the cooler into the kettle for the main boil. Are there any downsides to keeping the hot wort in the cooler for an hour or 2? DMS comes to mind, but would it not all boil off after a 2 hour boil anyway?

Last edited:
Why not just delay the drain of the second/final runnings till after the first runnings are reduced to your liking. If you've already locked in the sugar profile with a mash-out what are your concerns with leaving the wort in the M/T till the BK is ready?

I realise this is an old thread but it fits in with my question: I plan on brewing a wee heavy and I want to boil the first runnings down to a thick syrup before adding it back to the rest of the wort for the main boil. The problem I have is that I only have 1 pot large enough to boil 2 gallons to a syrup, and that is my main brew kettle. So my idea is this: After doing a mashout to stop conversion, I would drain the first runnings into the kettle to do the reduction boil, and drain the rest of the runnings into a cooler to keep warm. Once the first runnings have reduced to a syrup I would then transfer the wort from the cooler into the kettle for the main boil. Are there any downsides to keeping the hot wort in the cooler for an hour or 2? DMS comes to mind, but would it not all boil off after a 2 hour boil anyway?

DMS will be in the wort until boiled off, so as long as you do boil the wort the DMS will be driven

I don't see any problem with keeping some wort aside while you do the reduction boil. Just be pretty sanitary so that nothing gets started on the cool wort while waiting to be boiled.

Why not just delay the drain of the second/final runnings till after the first runnings are reduced to your liking. If you've already locked in the sugar profile with a mash-out what are your concerns with leaving the wort in the M/T till the BK is ready?

Good point. I guess I was just concerned that leaving the grain for too long at mashout temp might have some detrimental effect.

Latest posts

Back