Blow over and still stuck at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95747brewer

Reaction score
I just recently did an extract brew that in the first couple days facilitated my blow off tube nicely. I use a 6.5 carboy that completely filled with kraussen and was fermenting like crazy. My OG was 1.052 and after 2 weeks I'm at 1.020. Could any of the normal causes for a stuck fermentation coexist with a blown over fermentation? I would assume the yeast had plenty of o2, extract was high in fermentable sugars, etc if the fermentation took off so well, but maybe this is not necessarily the case. Any input to that simple question before trying to check all other factors would be appreciated.

There were plenty of fermentable sugars, but no doubt there were also lots of dextrins, which are unfermentable sugars. Extracts have a tendency to finish high no matter what you do. Have you roused the yeast (gently swirling the carboy) and raised the temp a degree or two? I find that sometimes will get things going a few points' worth.

My first couple brews finished at 1.020. I added some fermentation control, and try to keep the temp between 66 and 68. I aerate more than I think I need to (WAY more than my first batches) and started using Nottingham exclusively. Since I made these changes I have been getting much better attenuation (my pale ale went down to 1.010)

It's hard to accept, but your beer is probably not going to move from 1.020. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and try to make some improvements to your process down the road. No harm in trying the warmup/swirl method and waiting a week, but this hasn't worked for me the 2 times I've tried it.

The classic .020 curse. A stuck fermentation can be a b**** to re-start.

You can botte at 02 and the beer may taste fine. Just be a bit wary of bottle bombs during carbonation.

I've noticed that my FG was fine back when I did partial boils on the stove, but not that I'm using my bayou classic with full boils I'm never quite as low. This is the first 02 though. I figure either Im not introducing enough O2, or carmelizing my wort? That or i've got some bunk extract batches lately.

Latest posts

Back