IPA First All Grain-Hows it looking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
I'm calling this my Bread and Butter IPA

Single Infusion @ 155 Deg for 1 hour
Sparge @ 170 for 15 minutes

7.00 lbs 2 Row Pale
3.00 lbs Caramel/Crystal 10L
3.50 Victory Malt

Hops
1 oz Cascade @ 60 Minutes
1 oz Amarillo Gold @ 30 Minutes
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 30 Minutes

Additives:
Irish Moss @ 15 minutes

1 Package Wyeast American Ale

Primary for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks, 3 weeks in bottle.

iBrewmaster is telling me

70% Efficiency
OG1.067
FG1.017
ABV: 6.55%
IBU's: 60.17
Color: 14.1 Srm

So what do you guys think? Brewing this towards the middle of november. :rockin:

Way, way too much crystal malt and victory malt. I'd keep the crystal to 10% max. and victory 5-10%. Oh yeah, way too few hops as well. You'll want a lot of hops at less than 15 minutes for flavor and aroma.

You might consider using less crystal. Your current amount is over 20% of your bill. Maybe use a darker crystal and then use a smaller amount.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

So up the pale and cut back on the crystal and victory?

I switched it to

9lbs Pale
2.5 Victory
2 Lbs Crystal 10L

2 oz Cascade @ 15
1.5 Amarillo @ 15
2oz Northern Brewer @ 15

Sound better?

Same here. I only use one pound of specialty grains in my brews. I would change it to a half pound of each and go with 12 lbs. of you base grains.

I am not familiar with 30 minute hops. I add mine at first wort sometines & 60, 15 & 5.
I will leave that for others...

I switched it to

9lbs Pale
2.5 Victory
2 Lbs Crystal 10L

2 oz Cascade @ 15
1.5 Amarillo @ 15
2oz Northern Brewer @ 15

Sound better?

You'll probably still want an addition at 60 minutes to give your bittering. Different hops at different times do different things. This is a key concept to recipe building. I'd still scale the crystal and victory back. A pound of each would be a much better beer (I'd be inclined to do even less in a hoppy IPA).

You'll probably still want an addition at 60 minutes to give your bittering. Different hops at different times do different things. This is a key concept to recipe building. I'd still scale the crystal and victory back. A pound of each would be a much better beer (I'd be inclined to do even less in a hoppy IPA).

This is my first IPA I might add.

So should I scale back the Victory and Crystal and replace with Pale? Any other potentially tasty additions?

I switched it to

9lbs Pale
2.5 Victory
2 Lbs Crystal 10L

2 oz Cascade @ 15
1.5 Amarillo @ 15
2oz Northern Brewer @ 15

Sound better?

I'd suggest no more than 5-7% crystal malt, 10% victory, and then pale malt is fine. If you want more maltiness, you could use Munich malt in the grainbill as well, but not too much! Simpler is better for IPAs. For an OG you want to get to at least 1.060 or so, with IBUs of 50-70 with plenty of late hops for flavor and aroma.

So.........................

How about this:

10 pounds pale malt
1 pound crystal (you pick- 10L, 20L, 40L, 60L or carapils, or a combo of a couple of them)
1 pound Munich malt (or victory if that's what you want)

Bittering hops: 60 minutes
(Variety doesn't matter too much- magnum, chinook, cascade, etc to get you to 40-55 IBUs with this addition)

1 ounce cascade 15 minutes
1 ounce amarillo 10 minutes (or centennial, or chinook, etc)
1 ounce cascade 5 minutes
1 ounce amarillo 0 minutes (or centennial, or chinook, etc)

Dryhop with an ounce of your 5 and 0 minute hops.

Im thinking more victory is that link to that robusty Rogue malt taste although its probably a specific malt we cant get,im thinking with my next pale ale.Havent had a dry bisquity enough pale yet, i miss drinking those drifter pale ales.

The last issue of byo covers ipa in its style profile....worth reading.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Have the last issue. I browsed through the article. DIdn't think of that. Forgot it was in there. Thanks!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back