Boiled cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent44

Reaction score
I am wondering what would happen if you were to boil down a gallon of unfiltered apple cider into like an apple molasses, and then top off with more cider and pitch some yeast, kind of like an apple cider bochet sans honey? I was reading the mead forums and someone posted awesome pictures of his honey boiling and the idea came to me, has anyone ever done this?

I'm imagining a caramel like taste, and all the condensed sugars making it quite alcoholic.

Adding boiled down juice in the beginning will only increase ABV and not give you a sweet drink since the sugars will all get fermented out. If you want a sweet, caramel flavored cider you could add your concentrated apple caramel after primary fermentation.

Check out this thread for basic recipie and then alter it to fit your goal https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/

I've boiled cider a few times and a friend of mine has done it a number of times. The results were "interesting", but I doubt I'll ever do it again. The ciders I made with the boiled cider did end up sweet. I'm not sure why, but my best guess is that the boiling created some unfermentable sugars. I believe bochets have similar results. The flavor was what didn't appeal to me. I would not consider it a caramel flavor. It tasted more like a baked apple.

Back