Prickly fig melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaschke

Reaction score
Back at the beginning of September I bottled up some prickly pear melomel and a separate batch of fig melomel. When all was said and done, I had some of each left over, but not enough to fill individual bottles. Not being one to let mead go to waste, I combined the two, half-and-half, and promptly forgot about the mongrel bottle.

I came across the bottle today, and thought "What the heck?" I chilled it in the fridge for a bit them poured myself a glass, giving it 15 minutes or so to breathe. It's a deep amber color, crystal clear with a good honey nose, demi-sweet with strong, fruity overtones. It's very smooth. This ranks among the best meads I've ever bottled, and I just slopped it together as an afterthought. Go figure.

Prickly pear is an interesting flavor but never tride fig. congrats on the find. Now to duplicate!

Yeah, it was just one bottle! The prickly pear is my go-to recipe. The fig was an experiment. Not sure I could duplicate this successful blend if I tried. That's how it goes, isn't it?

Back