Star san in corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
So the directions that came with the corny keg kit say to use beer brite then rinse with hot then cold water. Should star san also be run through the keg and plumbing or is that a bad idea for any reason?

I have run star san through the keg for every batch I've done for over a year w no issues. I can't think of any reason not to.

clean & sanitize your kegs before use. Beer brite lists as both so there is no need to use star san additionally.

But, being a no-rinse sanitizer, I think starsan would work better.

I always leave starsan in my empty kegs for several days or even weeks, then I tap it out through the beer lines to sanitize those as well.

I too leave starsan in my cornies but i've started to question that practice to some degree. It's an acidic cleaner, and after very long periods of sitting in the corny i've noticed the liquid took on an almost milky look. I wonder if thats not part of the keg material being broken down by the acidic nature of the cleaner.

Agreed, the cloudiness is normal. I always clean my kegs with oxiclean and run that through my lines, then fill the keg with starsan, run a bit through the lines and then let it sit in there until my next batch is ready. Works perfect.

Oh just a tip. Make sure to dump the first pint you pull from the keg. It will have starsan from the lines and any remaining yeast sediment which should clear after the first pint.

Agreed, the cloudiness is normal. I always clean my kegs with oxiclean and run that through my lines, then fill the keg with starsan, run a bit through the lines and then let it sit in there until my next batch is ready. Works perfect.
Do you rinse with water after the oxiclean or go straight to star san?

Hi, new kegger here (and lovin' it :ban:),

I just bought a single kegging system and filled it with a batch of beer last night. To sanitize, I put a couple gallons of starsan solution in the keg and sloshed it around. I then pressured it up and ran stansan through the dip tube and picnic tap. The one thing I didn't think about at the time is that I should have depressed the "liquid out" poppit to let in some air and drain the star san from the dip tube.

I assume that all that will happen is the first pull from the keg will be pure starsan? Or will the starsan mix in with the beer as I filled the keg? It's a small amount so I don't think it'll be an issue either way. It may be a good way to sanitize the lines before the beer starts flowing.

I'll have to hook up the tap tonight after work and see what comes out.

i JUST started kegging, and what I have done so far is to keep star san stored in a keg under very little pressure. Then when it is time to keg a brew I hook up a picnic tap and run the starsan into a new keg.. then I fill the original keg with beer. put the lid on the new star san keg and pressurize it and wait till the next kegging needs done.

That's the way I sanitize my kegs. The leftover starsan in the pickup tube should drain out when you pour out the starsan.

There's starsan in the picnic tap and liquid line anyways so I pour into an empty bucket until beer is coming out

Do you guys fill the entire keg up with starsan or do you just put like a gallon or two in there?

I like to fill mine just past the half way point. I let it sit for a few minutes and then flip it over and let it sit for a few more minutes. You could use less if you want, but I end up keeping it around to use for other things so I don't mind mixing up 3 gallons or so.

Latest posts

Back