2 questions on my cigar box stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mase

Reaction score
Well, I suppose this could be posted in the DIY forum but I'm still a newb learning about starters so if it needs to be moved...

I digress. I built a cigar box stir plate. I plan on propping my fan up with a one inch chuck of wood (I have one inch worth of coasters until I get the wood). My first question, should I get the fan as close to the box lid as possible?

Also, does the fan serve any other purpose besides helping to spin the stir bar? My reason for that question is I want to use something solid for it to sit on and I see a lot of builds with the fan on screws or other things to where it is open underneath. Just wondering if it would hamper my air flow or anything. Thanks in advance.

Get it as close to the lid as possible.

Use the bolts, air flow will help the fan stay cool so it doesn't burn up.

The fan is there just to spin the magnets. Mount the fan as close to the lid of your box as possible while still allowing room for your magnets. One thing I neglected to consider was the fact that 2L of fluid plus the flask would cause the top of my enclosure to bend a little. I had to move my fan lower by a small amount.

Latest posts

Back