BIAB Flameout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I have a question about the mash on a biab setup. So i get my water to 170ish to mash, ultimately I want to be at like 154 for the mash, putting the grain in should take the 170 to about 155ish so that is good. Here is my question. Do i turn the flame off at 170 and let the grain mash for 60 minutes without any additional flame? just want to make sure on this.....i guess putting a lid on will help keep the temp in the 155 area?

thanks !

Mike

ideally, you would turn the flame off and let it hold at your mash temp. depending on your setup you may need to apply heat during the mash to keep it at the proper temp. definitely keep the lid on during the mash and try wrapping your kettle with a blanket or similar to help hold the temp once the flame is off.

>>I will need to lift the lid multiple times to check the temp as well.

1. dont forget to stir.

2. if the temperature drops you may need to add a short burst of heat. If so, consider lifting the bag part way, and then stirring very well, as grain acts as a good insulator.
However, you will still get conversion, even if the temperature drops a few degrees.

3. A probe thermometer like this may be very useful.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XSC5/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what kind of kettle you have but stainless definitely holds the heat a lot better than aluminum. I have a stainless pot and generally just cover with a few towels and don't lose more than a few degrees in an hour, even with stirring. I also just use my floating thermometer and leave it in the whole time so that I can check each time I stir...

The probe thermometer has made my BIAB mashing life a million times better. I cover the pot & throw on a big blanket and jacket. Holds pretty well. SO much better than the floating thermometer.

The probe thermometer has made my BIAB mashing life a million times better. I cover the pot & throw on a big blanket and jacket. Holds pretty well. SO much better than the floating thermometer.

How so? My bag fits over my pot and I just leave my thermometer in with the grain. It doesn't get in the way and isn't really a hassle imo. Am I missing something?

In my process I cover the pot & turn the flame off. It's obviously a pain in the ass to have to uncover, take the lid off, & check the floating thermometer. Not to mention the heat I lose during that process.

It's much easier to have a display telling me where I'm at. If your process works differently and well, carry on my brewing brother. :)

In my process I cover the pot & turn the flame off. It's obviously a pain in the ass to have to uncover, take the lid off, & check the floating thermometer. Not to mention the heat I lose during that process.

It's much easier to have a display telling me where I'm at. If your process works differently and well, carry on my brewing brother. :)

I am just always looking for ways to improve my set up... Even if you leave the probe in and can see the temp inside the kettle, you still have to uncover to stir (when you would check the floater).

I frequently step mash, so I only uncover when I need to go to the next step. I do indeed stir at that time.

My temp holds fairly well for 20-30 mins aka one step.

You certainly don't need to stir the mash. It will convert and extract just fine without stirring, and taking the top off to stir is going to contribute to losing mash temp.

First off, doughing in at 170 is too hot. Assuming about 10lbs of grain at room temp, you should be doughing in closer to about 164 to normalize the mash around 155. At a 170 dough in, you are mashing closer to 160-161, leading to more complex sugars in your mash that the yeast can't break down, which leads to more malty body and residual sweetness in your final product.

Then, you could keep monitoring the temp and adding heat, but that's a PITA in my opinion.

Get an old blanket, sleeping pad, or moving pad or go get one at goodwill. Here in the FL summer, I can maintain temp within one degree just covering the top with a blanket. In the FL winter, I wrap the entire pot using two blankets (one around the top and bottom, one around the sides, with a bungee holding it all together) to keep temp within one degree. Your weather may vary, but you get the idea.

THEN, do a 170F, 10 minute mashout, and stir like a maniac during the mashout. This 10 minutes of stirring is far more efficient and valuable than stirring during the mash.

I get 76-78% efficiency with these steps and a good fine crush.

Good luck!

TopherM said:
You certainly don't need to stir the mash. It will convert and extract just fine without stirring, and taking the top off to stir is going to contribute to losing mash temp.

First off, doughing in at 170 is too hot. Assuming about 10lbs of grain at room temp, you should be doughing in closer to about 164 to normalize the mash around 155. At a 170 dough in, you are mashing closer to 160-161, leading to more complex sugars in your mash that the yeast can't break down, which leads to more malty body and residual sweetness in your final product.

Then, you could keep monitoring the temp and adding heat, but that's a PITA in my opinion.

Get an old blanket, sleeping pad, or moving pad or go get one at goodwill. Here in the FL summer, I can maintain temp within one degree just covering the top with a blanket. In the FL winter, I wrap the entire pot using two blankets (one around the top and bottom, one around the sides, with a bungee holding it all together) to keep temp within one degree. Your weather may vary, but you get the idea.

THEN, do a 170F, 10 minute mashout, and stir like a maniac during the mashout. This 10 minutes of stirring is far more efficient and valuable than stirring during the mash.

I get 76-78% efficiency with these steps and a good fine crush.

Good luck!

+ 1

That's too high of a temp for strike water. Use any one of the many online strike water calc's. I use Beersmith. There is a also android and iPhone app that do it as well.

Yeah, I use BeerSmith to calculate it, but the basic math is:

Desired Batch Size
+
Boil Off (specific to your kettle)
+
Loss to Trub (depends on style, typically about 0.5 gallon)
+
Loss to contraction during cooling (about 0.25 gallons)

My 5.5 gallon batches typically require about 7.2 gallons of starting water volume.

Latest posts

Back