Need recipe suggestion....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlivings

Reaction score
Task:
I have an event I have to brew some beer for on May 28th. Its a 4 course meal, 4 brewers, food is to be tailored to pair with the beer. I dont know what the others are making.

Constraints:
Only have bottles, no keg.
Only have 7 weeks, best to make a beer thats tasty when young.
Dont like step mashing, I always get it wrong.
Its going to be the beginning of summer...
Im not very experienced, only made aroound 8 AG's.

So:
Any ideas? Im thinking maybe a DIPA...

I'd do an English Brown with a hearty malt backbone and subtle english hops in the back. Drinkable and goes with almost everything!

What kind of menu will they be looking for? Talking more regional, or at least the theme. If it's wide open, then I would go with either the already mentioned EBA, or maybe a solid English pale ale. I'll be bottling my second brewing of my ESB this week, so I'll be able to comment on how it tastes in another couple/few weeks.

Another contender could be a cream ale, amber ale (either American or English), moderate IPA (don't want too much bitterness with it this young, unless everyone loves face implosions).

If you want the IPA, then I would go for an English IPA, since it won't be as high in IBU's... Doesn't mean you can't dry hop the sucker and get the flavor/aroma there. Or do something with FWH, so that you get the IBU's without the bitter hit.

Plenty of options available to you, just make sure it's a style/recipe that will be good in under 2 months from grain...

BTW, which course are you being asked to supply for? That will help us help you more. :D

I hate hefeweizens myself, but that would be a good one to make in a short time, especially since the yeast is part of the flavor profile so if the beers are shaken up a bit during transport or if someone doesn't know how to correctly pour a homebrew, they don't get murky chunky beer.

Back