Using rice STARCH as a fermentable sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njstaticuser

Reaction score
I have extracted rice starch from rice and was wondering if I can use it to replace dextrose to increase the alcohol content in my beer without adding body? I know that it is a polysaccaride so I have to boil it first. Has anyone used this before? Or have I heard/read wrong?

I have extracted rice starch from rice and was wondering if I can use it to replace dextrose to increase the alcohol content in my beer without adding body? I know that it is a polysaccaride so I have to boil it first. Has anyone used this before? Or have I heard/read wrong?

No, it's starch not sugar. Yeast cannot metabolize starch. Boiling does not covert starch, mashing does.

To take it a bit further, you could either add the starch to your grain mash, or add amylase enzyme to it in order to convert it. If you add to your grain mash, keep in mind that there has to be enough grain to provide sufficient diastatic power to convert both the grain and the rice starch.

OOO ok so I should stick with dextrose then right? I wonder how I can extract dextrose from corn meal or corn starch! To the research lab!!!

Back