Another batch on top of Yoopers APA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I did an 11 gal batch of Yooper's APA , fermented in 2 different pails using 1056 in both pails. Cold crashed for 2 days, racked very clear beer to 2 kegs leaving just enough beer to cover yeast cake left behind.

Question is : Im doing a 5 gal batch of Brown Ale tomorrow, that uses 1056.
Should I use all of yeast (and trub) left in both pails? to ferment on top of that yeast cake WITHOUT washing? Or do ya think I have to wash it to help get rid of any flavors of the large amounts of cascade hops that are used?
Im hoping to just dump it right on top .:mug:

Most will tell you to scoop some out instead of pouring on top. Just take a cup and pitch that right onto your new brew. I doubt the hop will pass on through only one cup of yeast. But to be sure you'd need to wash.

Anyway, to avoid over pitching just scoop some out.

Thanks, good Info, I thought, I would use at least use 1 of the pails. I do understand a lot of people would not use the "used" pail for fear of the NASTIES. So a cup scooped out will do. If I did pour onto the cake, I will be over pitching? BTW OG's are about the same for both batches .

Back