Outcomes from delayed fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see how the fruits of your labor turned out after a longer than expected lag time for fermentation to kick off.... whether it was due to underpitching, old yeast, washed yeast, a bad batch, not aerating, lack of nutrients, or for no real reason that you can think of.

When fermentation did kick off, was it vigorous or did it take much longer than expected to chew through your wort? Reason I ask is because I made a porter Friday and sweated my arse off mashing and boiling on blacktop in 100 degree heat. The sweet wort tasted great and think I nailed a nice recipe. After chilling to 60, I shook my beer like someone whose been in and out of jail for domestic abuse would shake his girlfriend after putting away a case of BMC. I re-hydrated a pack and a half of Notty from two different batches and pitched into the 1.062 wort.

Now, I was never worried but I've always had fast starts with Notty and every other yeast I've used. Using a pack and a half I thought this one would really take off, but it was a good 24 hours before any real signs of fermentation and it still isn't gassing off like I'm used to. Took all the necessary steps for a good fermentation and I can't think of a reason for the delay. I'm hoping I don't get any weird flavors from a delayed ferment or stressed yeast. I see a million threads on slow starts, but most aren't re-visited after the OP is relieved to see fermentation kick off after 48 hours. So, how did that beer turn out, was it mediocre, come out like you expected or your best ever... post here.

Back