FRED: special yeast strain or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I just had my first Hair of the Dog brew! It was FRED. On the lable it boasted having 10 different varieties of hops from 5 different countries around the world. Nice 10% beer. It was called a "Golden Ale" although it was copper/orange in color. This beer is my new favorite beer. At the bottom of the bottle I noticed a large amount of sludge... I know now that I'm hopelessly lost into the addiction of homebrewing because I was excited and giddy as a little girl at a Barbie doll convention when I discovered this. The one question I have for the masses is: Does Hair of the Dog brewery use regular yeast from Wyeast/White Labs/etc... or do they have their own strain? I just have to know! I am going to be buying ALOT of FRED very soon and I could have fun with my purchase in addition to the assumed giggles derived from alcoholic beverages. :mug:

Good question, even though I've talked to Alan a few times, I never asked. I can try posting on the OBC mail list. Maybe Fred knows?

Well, I don't know if this is the truth or just a strong rumor, but everyone who responded said, Wyeast 1728 (Scottish). Several confirmed that Alan doesn't not use a bottling yeast, so that sludge is probably what you are looking for.

Back