Coffee percolator lautering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorcy

Reaction score
I found a 5 gallon coffee percolator coffee pot. I was hoping it would work for lautering. It should percolate from a low temp and gradually come up as it goes. The only thing would be to watch the hi temp to make sure it does not go above a certain temp. Any comments on if it will work, if it needs to stay cool longer or heat up faster?

Here are my findings.
It is to small to do large batches. It will hold the water, but not the grains. if i extend the grain basket walls up or maybe if I split up the grains and did one as a time?
Once it hits the temp, it stops and maintains only. You have to cool it way down or replace the water to get it to percolate again. Thinking about a byepass power switch.
The speed was very nice, it was really fast and you don't have to watch it all the time. I think I will use it for a similar use, but not exactly this.

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm going to try using my Mr. beer with all grain this time I have a percolator than does more than 32 cups of coffee so I think it might work for all grain wheat. Never done mashing I have never done all grain but I'm to give a shot with some extra spices on these Mandarin peels. honey and hopefully I with these new carbonation drops I can make a nice beer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back