Brew day number two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vogtenstein222

Reaction score
So my buddy and I got a great start to our second brew day today. Sanitized everything, prepared the equipment and gathered the ingredients. Then it turned into chaos.
Here's a basic run down for you all to enjoy:
Around 2-3 weeks ago I found a recipe for "Panic Button" hefeweizen. Decided it would be my next brew for sure.
I recently purchase beersmith and planned on this being my first beer made using the software. Also my first DME batch instead of LME. Last night I entered the recipe and got it clouded to my phone version.
Today, once all was ready we started. Made the boil in about 20 minutes, pulled the boil, added the DME and the ounce of Hallertauer pellets, put back on heat then started the timer.
Chaos 1: used steep/mash timer instead of boil. Attempted to switch, lost track of time. Managed to recover decently, but nothing would be precise from this point on.
Added a bit more cinnamon and ground cloves than the recipe asked, intentionally. I wanted this beer to be a bit more spice based. Still looking forward to this.
Chaos 2: first experience with leaf hops. Added first half ounce of Hallertauer leaf about 10 minutes early. No clue what this is gonna cause. More bitter? Less bitter? Beer is beer.
The chaos was more amusing in person than via text. To say the least, I had a great time, everything was clean, and I still believe the beer is gonna taste awesome. If nothing else because I made it.
Oh, and because I did my first batch at 2 am while SWMBO was asleep, she had no clue it was a 3-4 hour process all together. She spent the whole day pissed at me. Fortunately, she understands now and I have a fresh 5 gallons going to bottle in a little over a week hopefully.
Can't wait.

Well you made beer, and a unique one at that.

My brew day takes 6 hours. How pissed will she be when you go all-grain?

masskrug said:
Well you made beer, and a unique one at that.

My brew day takes 6 hours. How pissed will she be when you go all-grain?

Haha probably quite pissed. But she enjoyed the last brew (she doesn't really drink at all anymore) and if she enjoys this one I think her faith in this will raise a bit and shell probably start getting less pissed. AG probably won't happen for a while yet. I want to get my kegging rig first.

Cyclman said:
You'll be fine, none of those things will make much of a difference in the final product.

Oh I'm not nervous. It just sounded a lot funnier at the time and I wanted to share. Turns out not really funny now that I reread.

Back