Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
After doing some searching around, I've seen that alot of posters are very critical of their yeast starters (their OG, size of the starter, stir plates etc). I've brewed three batches so far with liquid yeast starters using 3/4 cup of Amber DME and 2 cups of water inside a liter bottle and have had no issues with fermentation.

My question is, should I be more concerned about how I prepare my starter? Should I pay attention to all the details everyone else is worried about? I originally thought that it was just to multiply the yeast cell count and get the yeast moving before you pitch it, but now it seems that it's more complicated than that.

personally, if it works, keep doing it. in the real science of it, I'm not 100% sure, but I've seen mr malty's pitching rate calculator that shows you the ideal size of a starter w/ liquid yeasts for a given OG, etc. That is the OPTIMAL pitching rate, if not used exactly that way, you have a higher chance of some off flavors or sub optimal fermentation. It will still ferment, and it will still make beer. It basically comes down to "are you seeing problems w/ your beers?" if so you may want to work on that to see if its contributing to the problem's you're seeing.

Latest posts

Back