Which dry yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I just mistakenly ordered an Oatmeal Stout kit with Munton's dry yeast, instead of liquid Irish Ale yeast. I also have a packet of Nottingham's lying around from another kit which I didn't use, and I'm wondering which would be a better much for the style? Or are both so inappropriate that I should go ahead and order a liquid yeast instead?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

+1 on the Nottingham. It's starting to replace s-04 in alot of my batches because it is so darn quick. I just started using it and have been very happy.

Notthingham makes an excellent stout. I'd steer clear of the Muntons yeast altogether personally, my experiences with those yeasts have always been sub-par.

Muntons can't handle the more complex sugars, so you would end up with a high FG and overly sweet. Muntons works fine with the "can of extract & a kilo of sugar recipes".

Good old Sheriff of Nottingham is the best stuff in a packet for my money.
Brew it cool, it acts like a lager yeast(even for cider), brew it warmer for great ales, stouts, and porters.

Back