Criticize my hopburst IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me, I would prefer a lighter grade of crystal malt and a much lower mash temp. You don't need the carapils if you're mashing at 156 F.

I would try to hit 30 IBUs at 60 min... or at least add a small middle charge. Using only 0.3-ish oz. of 60 min additions for a 5.5 gallon batch of IPA is quite weak with no other additions until 15 min. And you could even back off on one of the 5 min. additions for this low of an OG. Do you want a very fruity, almost juice-like, lowly bittered, full-bodied IPA?

And I don't care what anyone says, but dryhopping for only 1 day is ridiculous concept to me. Boost the intended 0.9 oz. here to 2.5 oz. for 7-10 days.

10 ounces of Munich isn't really much- are you trying to use some up? If so that's fine, but I wouldn't go out and purchase 10 ounces of it for a recipe like that.

I'm not a citra fan, but I like amarillo and simcoe together so I think it's good. I think +/- 60 IBUs is fine for that IPA, so I wouldn't increase the bittering hops.

I'd dryhop with citra/amarillo/simcoe because I like amarillo and simcoe, but just citra is ok. I'd dryhop for 5-7 days, with 1-3 ounces.

Mash at 152.

Forgot to point a few things out, sorry.

Beer will be keg hopped with the 25 g Citra, 1 day is only in there because I had to put something in.

And, my setup continuously produces VERY low FGs, which is why I keep the mash temperature this high. If mashed at 150 my system does not give a **** how many specialty grains are in there, it will go to 1.010. And I like a little more body in my IPAs.

Latest posts

Back