Oily sheen on Flanders Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
I have a Flanders Red I brewer about 6 years ago. I have a few bottles left and it is still quite tasty. I open a bottle last night that had two little white lumps on top but more oddly it had an oily sheen instead of a head. Still had a nice gentle carbonation. I used the Roeselare Ale Blend and a pretty straight forward grain bill. Are there some critters that cause that?

Wyeast website said Roeselare contains: a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture. I could see the sherry strain causing the white bits that floated on top?

Those cultures contain not only yeast, but bacteria, and form a white film. The loss of carbonation is probably due to 6 years of minute gas leakage through the cap. Not too shabby for 6 years.

Yeah I was wondering about the bacteria. The white stuff was like little flecks of white the size of a pencil eraser. They were compact which made me think of sherry flor but either way they didn't make the beer taste bad.

Back