Low OG reading, worth drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
So I brewed my last attempt at the BIAB method before moving to my new MLT system and the last batch was a dunkelweizen. I brewed it just like I did my last batch but instead of getting the estimated OG of 1.052 I only acheived an OG of 1.025:mad:. I also had a really short fermentation time, about 18 hours, even though I double pitched the yeast and fermented in a ferm chamber at proper ale temps. Will this batch either be a good session beer:mug: or just a good drain cleaner:(?

The bad news is that it probably isn't worth drinking. It is going to taste like very watered down beer beyond session beer ABV levels.

The good news is that all is not lost! To fix this batch, what you do is brew the same beer again with higher ABV, ferment it out, then BLEND the two. Simple math will tell you what OG you have to hit to get a good blend.

If you have 5.0 gallons at 1.025, and want to up it to, say a blended 10.0 gallons at 1.052, you need to make a second 5 gallon batch at 1.079 to average everything out. Just pump up the grain bill in proportion in BeerSmith, keeping the hops and yeast the same.

Lots of extra work, but it'll solve your problem.

Latest posts

Back