what do you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner

Reaction score
5 lbs light dme to 3 gallon water bring to boil
1 oz citra hops to boil
after 1 hour
1 oz citra hops
12 oz natural honey

add 2 gallons water
one dram lorann watermelon flavor
pitch yeast
wyeast 1272 aerate

trying for a watermelon ale type

Waaay too much bittering hops for what you are trying to do. I would say not more than a half ounce of citra. Also any fruit flavorings should be added before bottling, provided they are extracts.

Ya I was planning on the extract at the end of steeping.

Really no more than 1/2 oz.

Does everything else look decent?

If you want the fruit flavor to take the forefront, then I would definitely keep the IBU's under 25. One ounce of Citra will give you 28.9 IBU's. That is reasonable for a fruity ale, but I would not go any higher than that, unless you are looking to make something like an IPA with a HINT of watermelon. Certainly, I would not do any late hops additions without reducing the bittering hops first.

Don't add the watermelon before primary fermentation is complete. The gassing off from the CO2 will blow off a lot of the watermelon aroma

I dont really want a lot of watermelon flavor just a light aroma/flavor. i will reduce the hops dont really want an IPA just light and refreshing

Back