Which is better fresh fruit or commercial juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetgemini

Reaction score
I have not made wine in forty years but I am gonna. Question is should I use my old method of fresh fruit mash or try the newer things I am seeing about using commercial juice concentrate? My wine was once really good and I would like to know what others think. Thank you.

With fresh fruit my results are far more erratic than concentrate. Concentrate is very consistent, fresh fruit varies in quality. The best wine and the worst wines I've ever made were from fruit.

Also obtaining a large amount of quality fruit this time of the year for wine can be rather expensive in Ontario.

Best bet is probably to start with store bought juices and concentrates. Once you have a recipe you feel turns out well, then move on to trying it with fresh fruit if you can find a reliable source for it.

I use what ever is in season. In the winter...juice or concentrates. I agree with the best and the worst scenario with fresh fruit. Worst EVER...Watermelon. Best EVER...Pomegranate Blueberry :D

I think a perfectly made wine from fresh fruit is better. But that depends so much on the fruit- the acid content, the ripeness, the sugar content, etc. So it's much more variable.

Making wine from concentrates can be very good, and the product is always the same so it removes some of the variables.

Thank you to all for your thoughtful advice. I think I will do the concentrate in the winter and fresh in the summer. We get some amazing peaches and apples in South Carolina. I found out some friends of a friend are making grape wine so i may be able to get some good fruit there in early fall. I am relieved that I will be able to use concentrate for my pomegranite wine. I was worried about the price and messiness of making a mash from them. I have seen recipes on this site for gooseberry wine but I have not seen gooseberries in years.

Thank you to all for your thoughtful advice. I think I will do the concentrate in the winter and fresh in the summer. We get some amazing peaches and apples in South Carolina. I found out some friends of a friend are making grape wine so i may be able to get some good fruit there in early fall. I am relieved that I will be able to use concentrate for my pomegranite wine. I was worried about the price and messiness of making a mash from them. I have seen recipes on this site for gooseberry wine but I have not seen gooseberries in years.

The Pom/blueberry that I made was so good, I added three more pom trees in my yard. I can't wait until later this summer. My boss also promised to hook me up with some pears, so I am going to try pear wine also! I just wish winter would hurry up already! :)

Back