naturally carbing cider in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I know cider needs to be carbed at a much higher level than beer. Since my kegerator doesn't have a secondary regulator I was wondering what would happen if I primed my keg with sugar and let it sit for a few weeks before chilling and tapping it. I am wondering if it would stay carbed or eventually level out to my serving pressure.

Two things will happen(assuming ideal conditions:)

1)It will carb naturally in the keg, but it will be hard to tell when it has reached the proper psi (without hooking it up to the regulator)

2)It will eventually level out to serving psi unless you force more C02 or let it come to room temperature again.

I have a similar setup, several kegs with only one gas line. I find it easiest to force carb each keg to what ever psi, then switch the gas line when serving, and when done, top it off to original psi. A little hassle from moving the gas line, but I have great carb kegs all the time.

Back