The hops are taking over my garden! How do I transplant them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retardedsloth

Reaction score
The subject pretty much sums it up. When and how should I transplant these? I do have a very nice harvest coming this year but they are taking over the garden!

I would leave them alone for now. Later this fall, take the new bines that are coming from unexpected places and bury them under several inches of soil or mulch. Tie strings around them and leave on the surface to mark them prior to burial to . Next spring, (early) dig them up and cut the ryzomes and start new plants in areas you want or in large pots.

This has worked multiple times for me.

Wait till they die back this Fall then dig and move. If you start about 6-8 inches out from the center of the crown and dig all the way around it like you're digging a tree, you'll be able to see any rhizomes that were creeping outward and just get the shovel under them to lift and then dispose of (unless you want to give them to someone else). It's usually a lot easier moving them in the Fall due to potential problems with unpredictable weather in the Spring. Next Spring, keep an eye out for any sprouts from rhizomes or parts that you may have missed and they'll dig up real easily.

Back