Sabco Universal Siphon Install?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasbm

Reaction score
I got my Sabco false bottom and universal siphon in today. After brewing on my buddy's brew magic, I really wanted to incorporate that False bottom and siphon into my brutus ten.

I was looking at it and there is no way possible to use the universal siphon with a weldless bulkhead. I guess you could, but you would need to order the false bottom without the hole pre drilled and the siphone inlet would not be in the center of the MLT, about 1 in off. I have the false bottom with the hole drilled in it. I think I found a guy that can tig weld the SS coupling for me, but I was wondering if anyone has installed this siphon before? I'm looking for some measurements, but any advice would be great. This will be my first welded bulkhead.

Here is the universal siphon and false bottom:
http://www.brew-magic.com/ketl_acc_falsebtm.html
http://www.brew-magic.com/ketl_acc_unisiphon.html

Thanks for your help.

That is some serious money for a universal siphon. I also thought of buying one until I saw the price. At this point bro you should spend the money on a "full" weldable coupling ($6-$10) and have someone weld the coupling to your kettle so there is no other modifications necessary to a bulkhead fitting...IMO

I'd send it back and buy a SS A-LOK Parker 1/2" compression fitting and a foot of 1/2" SS thin walled tubing. Less than $25 for an easily removed dip tube. Not sure why that would not work with a weldless set-up as long as you had a full coupling screwed on inside the keggle? Just cut the SS tubing to the correct length and the false bottom has hinges so it should fit in easily.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FN0MM8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell false bottoms (15" hinged) here on HBT all the time. I also have an integrated diptube that I offer as well. If you want to chat PM me, I am sure I can help you out and get you what you need for a lot less $$$. The dip tube I offer is not stainless but its only $22 and it works killer w/ a weldless bulkhead. The 15" false bottoms I offer are a bit less $$ as well.
Cheers
Jay

I realize I'm beating a dead thread here, but I came across it when trying to figure out where to drill the hole for a weldless bulkhead for use with the Sabco universal siphon and pre-drilled false bottom. I was concerned that it wouldn't work, but I tried it, and I was able to get the siphon perfectly centered using a weldless bulkhead kit from weldlessfittings.com. Instead of using the included close nipple, I used the threaded portion of the siphon. Also, I put the locknut on the inside of the keg to space the siphon properly. I haven't used it yet, but I put it together this weekend and tested it for leaks, and it seems good.

Photo0124.jpg

Photo0126.jpg

Photo0128.jpg

Back