First AG fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic942

Reaction score
This is a (sort of) repost from another forum, but more of an update as well. Hoping for some better answers.

Friday night i brewed my very first all-grain brew using my newly constructed 3 vessel electric HERMS system.

It is an aggressively hopped APA, intended to be a 10 gal batch, I ended up with about 7 gal after a few pump hiccups. I finished with a 1.050 OG (1.060 target).

I pitched at 65 degrees with a single smackpack of Wyeast American Ale II at midnight. The next day around noon I had about 1/2 to 1 inch of kraussen, and sedimentation.
I have already established that I should have used more than one package of yeast but my LHBS wasnt open at midnight and obviously, I was in no shape to drive after 6 hours of brewing :cross:

by sunday afternoon I had signs of good active fermentation with about 3-4 inches of kraussen. I have had some temperature issues with my fermentation chamber (which i will save for a different post).

Today I still have active fermentation, but i am still worried, so I took a sample and checked the gravity. Its at 1.023. seems like really good attenuation for day 3.

....breathe.....

should I be worried?

Should I add more yeast?

I still plan on dry hopping....

should I move to a secondary and when?

I would be apprehensive about possible off flavors being produced by only pitching around 100bn cells into 7 gallons of 1.050 wort. It should have had nearer 250bn viable cells.

I think the horse has bolted on adding more yeast at this time. If the SG is still dropping then I would probably not add more yeast as most of the potential negative flavor issues are probably already embedded by end of day 3.

It is not essential to move to secondary to dry hop but is generally considered to be a good idea. Wait until fermentation is virtually complete and then move to secondary and dry hop. I believe you lose effectiveness of the hops if active fermentation is still occurring

There's certainly potential for bad outcome but I wouldn't be worried. I've had several brews that have got flubbered up with poor pitching techniques of various sorts and they have all worked out into good beers - maybe not competition winners but good drinkable beer nonetheless. I'm actually surprised you saw activity that fast with such a large underpitch and cool (great) temperatures. I would have expected you to not see activity for 30+ hours, so you're doing better than I would have expected. I'd just recommend bringing up the temp on your fermenter (~72F) to encourage the yeast to finish attenuating otherwise it might give up on those last few points of gravity.

EDIT: No, no secondary needed. At least wait until you're at FG before transferring if you're dead set on it.

well so far so good. I tasted the sample that I pulled for gravity reading and there is no hint of off flavors. I may be a noob at AG brewing, but I am a seasoned craft beer drinker!!

thanks for all the advice

Back